Are you an excellent time manager? Do you hand in your reports early, meet deadlines or arrive early enough for work? Are you able to finish tasks within the stipulated time?
If your answer is no to any of the questions above, that means youre not managing your time as well as you want. Here are 7 tips on how to be a better time manager:
- Create a daily plan. Plan your day before it unfolds. Do it in the morning or even better, the night before you sleep. The plan gives you a good overview of how the day will pan out. That way, you dont get caught off guard. Your job for the day is to stick to the plan as best as possible.
- Assign a time to every activity: Any activity or conversation that’s important to your success should have a time assigned to it. To-do lists get longer and longer to the point where they’re unworkable. Appointment books work. Schedule appointments with yourself and create time blocks for high-priority thoughts, conversations, and actions. Schedule when they will begin and end. Have the discipline to keep these appointments.
- Record every activity: Carry a schedule and record all your thoughts, conversations and activities for a week. This will help you understand how much you can get done during the course of a day and where your precious moments are going. You’ll see how much time is actually spent producing results and how much time is wasted on unproductive thoughts, conversations and actions.
- Set reminders 15 minutes before:It is a very good idea to set your clock 15 minutes faster. This way, you will be arrive early for your meetings, appointments and so on.
- Prioritize:Since you are well aware that you cannot do everything, prioritize your your time and do what is important per time. Apply the 80/20 principle which is a key principle in prioritization.
- Delegate. If there are things that can be better done by others or things that are not so important, consider delegating. This takes a load off and you can focus on the important tasks.
I’m sure you found these tips helpful. If so, do share and comment. I would love to hear from you