Criticism is the act of pointing out the faults and merits of someone or something.
Criticism, if not well presented, could be hurtful and may have a negative impact on a persons self-esteem. It however need not be so. Rather, criticism should be constructive and yield positive results. The same criticism which hurts a persons esteem may be more effective if presented in a different way.
In order to constructively criticize, take note of the following:
- Start out by saying something good
- Criticize the ACTION, not the
- Comment on the action which can be changed or improved upon
- Be specific- You arrived late , INSTEAD of You always arrive late
- Give recommendations for improvements
- Let the person know you understand his/her feelings
- Reaffirm your support.